New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment
Voting is now open for New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment Award.
Olympic bronze medalist Eliza McCartney (Athletics) took out the Favourite Sporting Moment of the Year at the 54th Halberg Awards on Thursday 9th February 2017.
The full list of Sporting Moment of the Year finalists were:
- Brendon McCullum – world record century in 54 balls during his final test for the Black Caps (Black Caps vs. Australia, Hagley Oval, Christchurch).
- Luuka Jones – winning New Zealand’s first ever canoe slalom medal, earning silver at the Rio Olympics (K-1 Canoe Slalom, Rio Olympics, Rio de Janeiro).
- Mahe Drysdale – secures a gold medal with his final rowing stroke at the Rio Olympics (Men’s Single Scull, Rio Olympics, Rio de Janeiro).
- Lisa Carrington – winning her second medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics, making her the first New Zealand female to win two medals at the same Olympics (Woman’s K-1 500m, Rio Olympics, Rio de Janeiro).
- Eliza McCartney – winning the bronze medal with her final pole vault attempt at the Rio Olympics. (4.80m, woman’s pole vault, Rio Olympics, Rio de Janeiro).
- Nikki Hamblin – helping fellow competitor Abbey D’Agostino to her feet mid-race (Woman’s 5000 metre heat, Rio Olympics, Rio de Janeiro).
- Liam Malone – winning two gold and a silver medal at his first Paralympics (Rio Paralympics, Rio de Janeiro).
- All Blacks - setting the new record for most consecutive test wins with 18 straight victories (All Blacks vs Wallabies, Bledisloe Cup, Auckland).
- Shane van Gisbergen – First New Zealander in 25 years to win the V8 Supercar Championship. (Sydney 500, V8 Supercar Championship, Sydney).
- Joseph Parker – claiming the WBO World Heavy Weight Championship belt – (Parker vs. Ruiz, Auckland).