New Zealand's Favourite Sporting Moment
The full list of Sporting Moment of the Year finalists are:
- Martin Guptill smashes 11 sixes to give the Blackcaps a seven wicket ODI win. (Blackcaps vs. South Africa, Hamilton)
- Mitchell Hunt drops a stunning last minute drop goal securing the win for the Crusaders during the Super Rugby season. (Crusaders vs. Highlanders, Christchurch)
- Michael Venus wins the French Open men’s doubles final to become the first New Zealand male Grand Slam champion since 1974. (French Open, Paris)
- Black Ferns Sevens win the World Rugby Women’s Sevens Series. (Black Ferns Sevens vs. Australia, Clermont-Ferrand)
- Emirates Team New Zealand win the America’s Cup.(Emirates Team New Zealand vs. Oracle Team USA, Bermuda)
- Brendon Hartley and Earl Bamber – win the Le Mans 24 hour race.(Le Mans, France)
- Black Sox win the World Softball Championships title for the seventh time. (Black Sox vs. Australia, Canada)
- Tom Walsh wins the shot put gold medal to become the first New Zealand male to win an IAAF track and field championship. (IAFF World Track and Field Championships, London)
- Black Ferns win the Women’s Rugby World Cup for the fifth time. (Black Ferns vs. England, Belfast)
- Lisa Carrington wins the K1 200m gold medal for the fifth time at the World Canoe Sprint Championships.(World Canoe Sprint Championships, Czech Republic)
- Ross Taylor achieves a record equalling 17 test centuries with the Blackcaps in the second test against the West Indies. (Blackcaps vs. West Indies, Hamilton)
You can vote for your choice once a day by text message or online at www.sportingmoments.co.nz. The winner will be presented at the 55th Halberg Awards on Thursday 8 February at Spark Arena in Auckland and televised live on SKY SPORT from 8pm.
Everyone who votes for the Sporting Moment by 28 January 2018 goes in the draw to win a trip for two including flights and accommodation to the 55th Halberg Awards at Spark Arena, Auckland on Thursday 8 February 2018. Visit www.sportingmoments.co.nz to read the competition terms & conditions.
How to vote:
Voting is now open for the Sporting Moment of the Year award. You can vote once a day from now until 9.00pm on Thursday 8 February 2018, vote either online or by text.
Vote at www.sportingmoments.co.nz
Text your Sporting Moment’s unique code to 556:
- Txt SM1 to 556to vote for Martin Guptill
- Txt SM2 to 556to vote for Mitchell Hunt
- Txt SM3 to 556 to vote for Michael Venus
- Txt SM4 to 556 to vote for Black Ferns Sevens
- Txt SM5 to 556 to vote for Emirates Team New Zealand
- Txt SM6 to 556 to vote for Brendon Hartley and Earl Bamber
- Txt SM7 to 556 to vote for Black Sox
- Txt SM8 to 556 to vote for Tom Walsh
- Txt SM9 to 556 to vote for Black Ferns
- Txt SM10 to 556 to vote for Lisa Carrington
- Txt SM11 to 556 to vote for Ross Taylor
The annual Halberg Awards is the major fundraiser for the Halberg Foundation, the charity set up by Olympic champion Sir Murray Halberg (ONZ) in 1963 to enhance the lives of physically disabled young New Zealanders by enabling them to participate in sport and recreation.
The core work of Halberg is a team of Advisers based around the country who connect physically disabled young people to sport and recreation opportunities. The Foundation also hosts the Halberg Junior Disability Games - a national three day sports competition for physically disabled young people. Text ‘halberg’ to 4499 to make an instant $3 donation to the Halberg Foundation.